Friday, September 26, 2008

I was wondering.....

....if all of us lived the Plain Life as the Amish do, would we have a cleaner, greener environ? Or even if we lived as our rural counterparts in India?
If not to the extreme, maybe atleast a few inspirational ideas from them!
I once had a discussion on the same with someone, and one thing led to the other and he led me to believe that it's not the planet Earth that's warming up but it's the sun that's cooling down. Now, this is a very interesting point of view that I had ever come across with regards to Global Warming. We went on for about an hour, questions-answers, conflicting views, disagreement on some and agreeing on few. 
I would love to blog all about it, because this is one interesting conversation I had in a longtime over issues, that really made me think.
But for now, I'll just fill in some key details....
- The breaking apart of ice-shelves at one place might call for growing glaciers on the other side.
- What really happened to all the water post IceAge?
- Why are there lesser sun-spots on the Sun now ? Means the sun is cooling down.
- Are we heading towards IceAge again?
- Does this mean D-Day and evolution of life again from the beginning of time?
- The effect of pollution etc., is it comparable to the magnitude of the planet?
- Is planet Mars' warming also related to Earth's? 
It is the last query that has me worried sick. Either we really are doing so much harm that we are actually affecting our neighbouring planet too(highly impossible), or is it really the sun?

Please voice in your views and opinions on this, coz I think we all need to address this issue seriously, we certainly do not want to be misled by some activists trying to panic us. Let me add though, that we are definitely doing some not-so-nice things to our planet, there is no denying that!

2 comments:

CK said...

Certainly an issue that, at the very least, warrants some discussion. Unfortunately, most of us (me included), pay little attention to issues which don't pose (on the surface at least) any immediate threat to us. Keep the discussion going, Annie...I'm willing to try to initiate some changes, even though they may not be substantial.

Annie said...

Well, for starters, what really intrigues me is the issue that if the disappearance of certain species the consequence of our polluting the planet? That again leads me to another query, why did dinosaurs disappear? I'm pretty sure that was before the humans...this makes me wonder, it's just the cycle of life? So if the number of polar bears, tigers etc are dwindling are we to blame, or is it how it was intended to be?
Try replacing the light bulbs in your home with the low energy ones. They are brighter and use less electricity and use hot water only when needed. Even turning the knob a little towards the hot water will get the water heater started...billing!