Friday, September 19, 2008

Oops I said it!

oh, I just discovered something horrid!
Why aren't there any female music composers in India? Even the great M.S. Subbulakshmi and Lataji and Ashaji and Chitra, have rendered someone else's notes, why didn't they create their own? Was their talent in composing supressed, or were they not interested? But even among the younger lot, we don't have any, did Alisha Chinoi compose music or just sing? What about the other 90's female pop stars? I think it was always a male dominated music industry!

2 comments:

PoP said...

There are few, for instance
AR Rehana, yes the sister of the legend himself has composed for few Tamil movies. Also I have heard abt Jaddan Bai, the first female music director. And I am sure there are few went unnoticed.

Annie said...

I agree there might have been some who went unnoticed. Also, SriLekha, MMKeeravani's sis does mainstream composing, but that is like one in a zillion!